Newark, Delaware - Facts & Figures
Schools have played a significant role in the history of Newark. A grammar school, founded by Francis Alison in 1743, moved from New London, Pennsylvania to Newark in 1765, becoming the Newark Academy. Among the first graduates of the school were three signers of the Declaration of Independence: George Read, Thomas McKean and James Smith. Read and McKean went on to have schools named after them in Delaware: George Read Middle School and Thomas McKean High School.
During the American Revolutionary War, British and American forces clashed outside Newark at the Battle of Cooch’s Bridge. Tradition holds that the Battle of Cooch's Bridge was the first instance of the Stars and Stripes being flown in battle. The state granted a charter to a new school in 1833, which was called Newark College. Newark Academy and Newark College joined together in the following year, becoming Delaware College. The school was forced to close in 1859, but was resuscitated eleven years later under the Morrill Act when it became a joint venture between the State of Delaware and the school's Board of Trustees. In 1913, pursuant to legislative Act, Delaware College came into sole ownership of the State of Delaware. The school would be renamed the University of Delaware in 1921.
- Population: 31,454
- Industries: Tourism, Defense, Agricultural, Manufacturing, Service
- Area Codes: 302
- ZIP Codes: 19702, 19711-19718, 19725
- Surrounding Cities: Philadelphia, PA , Baltimore, MD , Washington DC. , Newark, NJ