Livonia, Michigan - Facts & Figures
Livonia, Michigan is located about 20 miles northwest of Detroit. It is considered part of the Detroit metropolitan area. The city was originally inhabited by Potowatami Indians until it was settled by pioneers from New England and New York who were attracted by its rich soil and abundant harvests. The name "Livonia" was most likely named after a region of the Baltic Sea comprising present-day Estonia and Latvia. In 1948, agriculture gave way to commerce and industry. General Motors Corporation built an automatic transmission plant and shortly after, Ford Motor Company followed with a parts depot. Major employers include Ford Motor Company, General Motors, United Parcel Services and St. Mary Mercy Hospital.
- Population: 96,658
- Industries: Transportation equipment, Professional, scientific, and technical services, Construction, Accommodation and food services, Educational services, Metal and metal products, Machinery, healthcare, finance and insurance
- Area Codes: 734
- ZIP Codes: 48150, 48151, 48152, 48153, 48154
- Surrounding Cities: Redford, Farmington