Gulfport, Mississippi - Facts & Figures
An early settlement near this location, known as Mississippi City, appeared on a map of Mississippi from 1855. Mississippi City was the county seat of Harrison County from 1841 to 1902, but is now a suburb in east Gulfport. Gulfport was incorporated on July 28, 1898. Gulfport was founded by William H. Hardy who was president of the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad (G&SIRR) that connected inland lumber mills to the coast, and later on, joined by Joseph T. Jones who later took over the G&SIRR, dredged the harbor in Gulfport and opened the shipping channel to the sea. In 1902, the harbor was completed and the Port of Gulfport became a working seaport that now accounts for millions of dollars in annual sales and tax revenue for the state of Mississippi.
- Population: 72,076
- Industries: Gaming & Tourism, Seafood, Military & Federal Government
- Area Codes: 228
- ZIP Codes: 39501-39503, 39505-39507
- Surrounding Cities: Long Beach, MS , Biloxi, MS , Bay Saint Louis, MS , Ocean Springs, MS , Gautier, MS