Phone calls from people you don’t know can be very difficult to deal with. In some cases, it may just be a wrong number, but many people have to deal with strangers constantly calling them.
As an alternative to sending the call to voicemail, there are online toll-free directories that allow you to do a reverse search on the number and get information about whoever is calling you. They will often tell you the name of the person’s cell phone carrier and, more importantly, their location so if someone is harassing you and you have an idea who it is, this information can confirm it. Many of these sites can even trace answering services.
Toll-free directories often offer the smallest bit of information such as the name of the phone number’s cell phone carrier, the location of the carrier, and similar details. If you want access to more advanced search results, you will have to pay a price. Luckily, you can conduct a simple search on most of these sites without having to pay (unless you want the more detailed information) or even signing up for an account.
Some examples of reverse lookup directories include:
- AnyWho: Includes a people finder, yellow pages and reverse lookup.
- AT&T Directory: Here, you can find look up companies’ phone numbers as well as find entities by entering the toll-free number or area code and number.
- Inter800: Very simple site. Allows you to enter either a company name or toll-free number in their search engine.
- Custom Toll Free: Allows you to enter a toll-free number so it can be reversed and the information is then displayed.
- White Pages: Very simple, direct site that requires you to type the phone number in so it can search for any information about the carrier. It also allows reverse address searches and people lookups.
- Phone Detective: Offers the ability to search for the owner of any cell phone or any unlisted number. For a price, you can get the caller’s name, age, address, and more.
- Intelius: Has the ability to search for unlisted phones and even cell phone numbers. Where possible, it returns results on whether it’s a landline or cell phone, pay phone, a residential or business number in addition to other information like the name and address of the owner.
- US Search: Allows you to quickly reverse search for a number. Offers results including location, carrier, and a map. More detailed information is available for a price.