Should Your Business Have a Blog?
Blog, blog blog. What used to be the musings of individuals trying to make themselves heard in the world wide Internet has now turned into a major corporate communications strategy. Most businesses have a blog; according to the Content Marketing Institute, 77% of business-to-consumer companies have blogs. That leaves some businesses with the question: Should I have a blog?
Come on, everybody else is doing it…The peer pressure is there. Shouldn’t you dive in, too?
Why You Should Start Your Own Blog
- It generates sales. According to Hubspot, companies that blog generate 126% more leads.
- Search Engine Optimization. Blogs can create more inbound links, which increases your SEO and ultimately, your chance of getting found on Google and Bing. If you blog on trending topics, your blog posts can actually rank high for those particular keywords, sending even more traffic to your website.
- Social media. Blog posts are a simple way to post content to social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Make yourself a thought leader. Position yourself as an expert in the field you are in. Blog about what you know, and you’ll be respected within the industry. And trust equals sales.
- More traffic. This goes back to SEO. Hubsport reports that businesses that blog get 55% more website traffic, 97% more inbound links and 434% more indexed pages than those that don’t.
Why You Shouldn’t Start Your Own Blog
To be honest, there’s no real reason not to have a blog, but you may want to consider the following:
- No time or resources. The worst thing to do is to start up a blog, write for a few weeks, and then…crickets. Having a dead blog is a sign that you can’t commit to anything or aren’t disciplined enough to see things through, which decreases trust in your company. You must commit to writing at least once every two weeks, and carve out time for research, writing and editing.
- No strategy. You need to think about your area of expertise and generate dozens of ideas for blog posts. If you can’t think of enough topics, your blog will quickly die on the vine like so many of those individual blogs from the early 2000s. Develop an editorial calendar that records what blogs you will publish on what day, and stick to it.
- You blog about yourself. You may as well write a press release and send it to the wire companies. No one wants to read about what you’re doing every week. It’s okay to do it every so often when you have a major announcement, but users want to read content that’s relevant and useful to them. Give it to them.
Having a blog is good for business. Period. The question you need to ask yourself is whether you have the time, energy and creativity to pull it off. Happy blogging!
Related Blog Articles
May 16, 2019
So you’ve started a business. Congratulations! You’ve hung your sign out in front of your storefront; you’ve made business cards; you’ve told your family. So now you wait. And you wait some more. Where are all the customers? Unfortunately, it’s not like the voice in “Field of Dreams” – loosely paraphrased, “If you build it,…
May 1, 2019
To succeed in business, you need to network. It’s free, puts you in touch with people who can help you and your business, and leads to future business opportunities. But for many entrepreneurs, networking ranks right up there with root canals and IRS audits as things they’d never want to do. They’re introverts, and being…
April 17, 2019
Unless you have a photographic memory, you probably take notes, whether it’s taking minutes to a meeting, jotting down things to remember during a telephone call, or coming up with your weekly shopping list. Of course, there’s an app for that. In fact, there are dozens of note-taking apps – too many to cover in…
Starting at just $9.95 a month!
Try Ninja Number free for 7 days. Instant activation – no contracts, and all features included!
We guarantee that Ninja Number will help grow your business. If you don’t believe Ninja Number can help grow your business and make more money, just cancel your service and that month’s payment is on us!!