Should Your Business Have a Blog?
Blog, blog blog. What used to be the musings of individuals trying to make themselves heard in the world wide Internet has now turned into a major corporate communications strategy. Most businesses have a blog; according to the Content Marketing Institute, 77% of business-to-consumer companies have blogs. That leaves some businesses with the question: Should I have a blog?
Come on, everybody else is doing it…The peer pressure is there. Shouldn’t you dive in, too?
Why You Should Start Your Own Blog
- It generates sales. According to Hubspot, companies that blog generate 126% more leads.
- Search Engine Optimization. Blogs can create more inbound links, which increases your SEO and ultimately, your chance of getting found on Google and Bing. If you blog on trending topics, your blog posts can actually rank high for those particular keywords, sending even more traffic to your website.
- Social media. Blog posts are a simple way to post content to social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Make yourself a thought leader. Position yourself as an expert in the field you are in. Blog about what you know, and you’ll be respected within the industry. And trust equals sales.
- More traffic. This goes back to SEO. Hubsport reports that businesses that blog get 55% more website traffic, 97% more inbound links and 434% more indexed pages than those that don’t.
Why You Shouldn’t Start Your Own Blog
To be honest, there’s no real reason not to have a blog, but you may want to consider the following:
- No time or resources. The worst thing to do is to start up a blog, write for a few weeks, and then…crickets. Having a dead blog is a sign that you can’t commit to anything or aren’t disciplined enough to see things through, which decreases trust in your company. You must commit to writing at least once every two weeks, and carve out time for research, writing and editing.
- No strategy. You need to think about your area of expertise and generate dozens of ideas for blog posts. If you can’t think of enough topics, your blog will quickly die on the vine like so many of those individual blogs from the early 2000s. Develop an editorial calendar that records what blogs you will publish on what day, and stick to it.
- You blog about yourself. You may as well write a press release and send it to the wire companies. No one wants to read about what you’re doing every week. It’s okay to do it every so often when you have a major announcement, but users want to read content that’s relevant and useful to them. Give it to them.
Having a blog is good for business. Period. The question you need to ask yourself is whether you have the time, energy and creativity to pull it off. Happy blogging!
Related Blog Articles
July 17, 2019
All of us at Ninja Number recently read the book Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown. The book, in a nutshell, teaches you how to be selective about the essential things in your life and then cutting everything else out. Ninja Number is a small company. We wear lots of hats, and sometimes it’s hard to say no. We’re…
June 26, 2019
Meetings. They can be the biggest time-suckers next to Facebook. And they’re usually less enjoyable. Studies estimate that we hold 11 million formal business meetings in the United States every day. That equates to $37 billion in lost revenue from time wasted in meetings. Shocked? You’re not even close yet: Employees spend 37 percent of their time…
June 5, 2019
It’s difficult to start up a business. Long hours, little revenue coming in – and if it’s something you’re passionate about, you may find that you spend days, nights and weekends on the company. Sounds dedicated, doesn’t it? Well, it’s actually a recipe for disaster. According to Bank of America, 29% work between 51-70 hours…
Starting at just $9.95 a month!
Try Ninja Number free for 7 days. Instant activation – no contracts, and all features included!
We guarantee that Ninja Number will help grow your business. If you don’t believe Ninja Number can help grow your business and make more money, just cancel your service and that month’s payment is on us!!